Pages

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Yamie Chess

Growing up I always wanted to learn the game of chess.  The board game seemed too intimidating so I never took the time to learn the strategy to play.   Finally a company has created a fun interactive way to learn the game - Yamie Chess

I had the opportunity to review the interactive activity book that teaches you how to play chess by introducing the chess pieces as characters in a story.  After learning the basics of the chess game the activity book introduces you to the main character Kimi as you follow his adventures in the Mind Kingdom.  Throughout the adventure math problems are presented in the story.  The problems range in difficulty making the story friendly to intermediate and middle grade levels.   Check out my full review of Yamie Chess HERE along with many other professionals' reviews of the game.  

To get a better idea about Yamie Chess take a look at this video. 


This is a great game to have in your classroom for the days you find a chunk of free time (or indoor recess) with your students.  How great would it be for students to not only solve a few math problems but also learn the game of chess! I love the idea of students practicing strategic and forward thinking with a game inside or outside of the math classroom :)  

If you have the pleasure of going to the 2014 NCTM conference (I am SOOO jealous if you are) check out their booth in the Exhibit Hall.  I can't wait to get my hands on the full game when it is finally released this spring! 

If you do purchase Yamie Chess for your classroom (or your household) let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment