Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Growing Vocabulary Tree

We are half way through August which means I need to start getting back into teaching mode.   I am not able to get into my classroom yet so I start with thinking about a new bulletin board theme for the hallway.

I am liking the iPhone/iPod theme I found on Pinterest with the title:

"Elite Eagles have all the right apps for success"

Each "app" will be a positive student trait such as organized, on time, etc.  Pictures will come when my vision comes to life!

While I was thinking about my new bulletin board I realized I never posted about my board from the past school year! Last year I wanted to do a vocabulary wall but I had no space in my room.  Since I inherited (or might have taken over) a bulletin board in the hallway I decided to make it my vocabulary wall! I wanted a theme that could last throughout the year.  I decided on a "vocabulary tree" that would grow throughout the year with the new 7th grade math vocabulary words.  I tried to add the new words at the beginning of every new CMP book. 

"7th Grade Growing Math Vocabulary"
After unit 1

Later in the year...


And Later..

Final product (end of year)
The background got a little abused by the end of the year but that is what you get with middle school students.

This kind of bulletin board was perfect for me because the board looked different throughout the year without ever actually changing it! Although bulletin boards can be a lot of work I secretly love the chance to get crafty with paper.   Hopefully my board this year will be just as fun to make as my tree!

Stay tuned for my new iPhone/iPod board..
Good luck to those that are starting school in the next few days!

3 comments:

  1. Love your vocabulary tree...
    And I am excited to see your iPhone/iPod board too!

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the vocab tree and cannot wait to use this next year as I teach Maths. It will be wonderful seeing all their numeracy based literacy words!
    Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That reminds me of merit badges for scouts.

    ReplyDelete